Park Avenue Physical Therapy near East Northport, NY has been serving the community for over 20 years. Owned and operated by Dr. William VanVynck, Park Avenue Physical Therapy is an outpatient clinic that prides itself on personal care. Our goal is to provide each patient with personal one on one care making sure our patients get back to what they love to do, whether that is athletics or being pain-free in their daily activities. For treatment methods, we ask that you consider our acupuncture in Huntington, NY.
At Park Avenue Physical Therapy, our staff of licensed physical therapists and athletic trainers are educated and experienced with the newest therapeutic techniques to help patients reach their goals and return to what they enjoy doing most.
With years of medical knowledge and clinical experience, our physical therapists have an exercised based approach to helping our patients recover from any injury or ailment. We create comprehensive, individualized rehabilitation programs for each patient at our facility. Our treating physical therapists continue their education so they may provide the latest techniques to our patients with the best treatment possible.
Dr. William J. VanVynck, Owner/Physical Therapist
Dr. William VanVynck has been practicing as a physical therapist and athletic trainer on Long Island for the over 13 years. After obtaining an athletic training degree from Sacred Heart University in 2003, he pursued his desire to become a physical therapist and continued his education at Sacred Heart, receiving in Master’s Degree in 2006. Recognizing the importance of higher education and professional recognition, William furthered his education, and obtained his Doctorate of Physical Therapy from the College of Saint Scholastica. William has dedicated his career to focusing on sports injury and orthopedic rehabilitation, having experience working with patients of all levels. He was the the Associate Team Physical Therapist for Farmingdale State College and LIU Post from 2014-2016 and served as the head athletic trainer for the Plainedge School District for over ten years.
Recent Blog Posts From Our Doctors of Acupuncture near Huntington NY
Acupuncture is one of the oldest forms of physical therapy, and it is still widely practiced today. Once a form of Eastern medicine that was unique to physicians who specialized in Asian medicinal practices, acupuncture has grown greatly in popularity, especially over the past century, and has been recognized within Western medical research as being a highly effective tool for supporting injury recovery, mobility issues, and in treating chronic pain.
One highly effective use for acupuncture is the treatment of muscle tension. There are many reasons as to why muscle tension may become a personal health issue. In some situations, muscle tension will develop after extreme bouts of emotional stress, but other causes are more physical in nature. A sports injury or a car accident can cause a muscle to become tense, especially following a larger injury. Other times, repeated motions can cause muscle tension to develop. This includes regular lifting, typing, and other household tasks.
While an especially common complaint in the lower back and neck, muscle tension can develop anywhere. Too many people attempt to turn to medicinal pain management to ease tension in the muscles, but this is not a long-term solution, and many pain management medications have unpleasant side effects that make taking them long-term unwise or even impossible.
Muscle tightness is something of a vicious cycle. It both causes pain on its own, and further results in other parts of the body tensing up in anticipation of that pain. Many patients find acupuncture helpful for both decreasing pain and relaxing the body overall. Working with a physical therapist to address muscle tension is the most effective way to take long-term action in overcoming this concern.
Understanding Acupuncture near Huntington NY
Perhaps because it has ancient roots in Eastern medicine, acupuncture is often looked at as a quasi-science, with semi-majestic connotations that question the authority and effectiveness of the treatment method. Acupuncture uses targeted puncturing to release tension in the body. While this is sometimes done with large needles, it can also be completed with small pins, pressurized balls, and even cups.
Acupuncturists use needles or other tools to gently apply pressure both at the place of stiffness and at distant parts of the body that control different pathways to healing — such as to the glandular system. Using the glandular system and knowledge of the pathways of inflammation, acupuncturists target the entire bodily system, alleviating tension everywhere to help decrease pain and increase your quality of life.
Acupuncture works by stimulating natural pain-relieving chemicals in the body, including a combination of endorphins and neurotransmitters. The release of these chemicals triggers the pain receptors in the brain to experience less pain. Then, by stimulating blood flow to the area experiencing muscle tension, acupuncture also helps to heal that area of the body as increased circulation in an injured area naturally speeds recovery.
By releasing natural painkillers in the body, acupuncture needles help short-circuit the loop of pain, and stiffness from anticipating pain. This works in the following ways:
- Endorphin release. Endorphins are happy chemicals that are naturally released by the body. They are typically released during physical activity, especially during cardio activities, and are the reason behind what is often referred to as “runner’s high,” the euphoric-like experience that people get when running long distances. Acupuncture will also stimulate the release of these mood-boosting and pain-suppressing opioid neuropeptides. When your nervous system releases endorphins you automatically begin to experience less pain, and this can help alleviate pain from muscle tension, too. Just as importantly, the areas that were “taking up” the slack by working harder to support the original source of stiffness will also be relaxed.
- Neurohormone production. In addition to endorphins, another way to alleviate pain naturally is by stimulating neurotransmitter and hormone production. These chemicals are directly related to your mood and perception of different environmental factors, and could be the reason why you handle stress differently one day to the next. The stimulation of neurohormone production puts your body in a better situation to handle muscle tension more effectively. Substances like dopamine are released by your body’s glandular system through strategic placement of acupuncture needles. The needles stimulate the glands so that their secretion is regulated in a more pain-suppressing manner. Dopamine also plays a role in relieving muscular and emotional tension, further enhancing the effects of the acupuncture treatment.
Another common cause of muscle tension is the development of muscle adhesion. Essentially, this happens when over a prolonged period of time, a buildup of scar tissue develops on the connective tissue that joins nerves and muscles. These adhesions often cause a general stiffening up of the affected muscle groups, because they become fused to one another. (In addition, other muscle groups that rush in to support the failing ones also become overworked.)
A skillful acupuncturist will be able to identify these adhesions and target them with strategic placement of acupuncture needles. If after treatment some muscles are relaxing and others aren’t — This could signify adhesions on the connective tissue. Applying needles directly to that area helps dissolve these buildups by improving blood circulation and healing endorphins.
Acupuncture is an effective method for alleviating chronic pain that results from muscle tension, but it is not something that can be practiced at home or without a licensed and experienced acupuncturist. Contact us at Huntington, NY center for a consultation and to find out how this form of treatment may be able to support your optimal wellbeing.
Acupuncture for Athletes
Over the past decade, acupuncture has been becoming a more popular method for treating medical problems. It involves the inserting of small, thin needles just below the skin that help open up and clear acupoints, and energy pathways throughout the body. These were discovered and mapped out by the Chinese thousands of years ago. Pain is a way of altering the body’s natural flow and is a disturbance within the body’s energy. The goal of acupuncture is to restore the balance of power. If you want to learn more about acupuncture or are looking for acupuncture near Huntington NY, you should consider contacting Park Ave PT to schedule an appointment.
Benefits of Acupuncture for Athletes
Acupuncture is a proven effective alternative to conventional medicine or medical practice. Its main goal is to restore the balance of the body’s energy and provide the body with many benefits. Some benefits that our Acupuncture near Huntington NY, provide include:
- Pain relief – When the needles are inserted, the body releases natural endorphins, a natural painkiller. These endorphins last for a long time, and the patients usually see results after their first visit, by reducing inflammation, increasing range of motion, and boosting the immune system. Using medicines and other drugs can hide the pain, but sometimes not fix the actual problem.
- Improved blood flow– acupuncture releases natural hormones that open the arteries and veins. This increases the blood flow of the heart and cardiovascular system.
- Muscle relaxation– With the increased blood flow, inflammation decreases, and muscles begin to relax.
- Injury prevention and treatment– With acupuncture balancing the body’s energy, there is likely to be an injury in the future. If there was an injury then the acupuncture treatments should significantly improve the healing process time.
- Energy and endurance- Acupuncture can be a natural regulator of the nervous system, this helps enhance the body’s endurance and improve energy levels
Contact Our Acupuncture near Huntington NY
At Park Ave PT we offer more than just acupuncture, our services include physical therapy, concussion treatment, golf fitness training, joint mobilization, and many more. Our well-trained, experienced staff is here to provide you with the best care and insight into any questions or concerns you may have. If you are curious about acupuncture or are looking for an acupuncture near Huntington NY, you should contact Park Ave PT to schedule an appointment or visit our website.
Benefits of Acupuncture near Huntington NY
Acupuncture is a traditional Chinese medicine that is used to balance specific points in your body by the use of needles. While this can be seen as an unusual method of treatment, the benefits of acupuncture outweigh the fears you may have built up inside. At Park Avenue Physical Therapy, our team is here to relieve you so that you can recover and get back to your basic, lifestyle activities. We offer Acupuncture near Huntington NY, and are open Monday through Saturday to treat patients. Park Avenue Physical Therapy is well-versed in the symptoms and procedures required to help support you and your needs.
Benefits of Acupuncture
With new treatment methods constantly being put out in the medical industry, Park Ave PT, Acupuncture near Huntington NY, has remained a consistent healing practice to relieve discomfort associated with diseases and conditions. Common benefits to acupuncture treatments include assisting in healing with:
- Anxiety and Depression
- Chronic Pain
- Menstrual Cramps
- Strokes, etc
Acupuncture Procedure Methods:
- Needle insertion: Routinely between 5-20 needles are used in acupuncture treatment. You may feel a mild sensation however, the needles are very thin, so little discomfort occurs.
- Needle manipulation: Your practitioner may lightly move the needles after insertion or apply heat or moderate electrical pulses to the needles.
- Needle removal: Needles are commonly placed for 10-20 minutes while you lie still. In needle removal, there is generally no ache or discomfort.
How Acupuncture near Huntington NY, Can Help!
One of the best ways to remedy pain in your body is to seek a certified physical therapist. Park Avenue Physical Therapy specializes in many therapeutic exercises to give you your strength back. If you are considering Acupuncture near Huntington NY, take the following steps and evaluate yourself to ensure you are making the right decision:
- Do your research and look for recommendations
- Talk to a physical therapist about acupuncture techniques
- Take time to find the parts of your body that are giving you pain
- Find out the benefits and results related to your specific injury
Request an Appointment with Park Avenue Physical Therapy
Our goal at Park Ave PT is to work closely with you in finding the right treatment and care for your body. Our team will alleviate any pain or strain by evaluating your symptoms and educating you on the best treatment plans we offer. For the best Acupuncture near Huntington NY, schedule an appointment with Park Avenue Physical Therapy!
Acupuncture for Sleep Aid
Are you having trouble getting comfortable or falling asleep at night? Up to 35% of Americans struggle with insomnia and many of them cannot find a proper treatment plan for this issue. At Park Avenue Physical Therapy, we offer our patients Acupuncture near Huntington NY that will allow you to fall asleep without any distress!
For most people, getting poked by needles doesn’t necessarily seem like a beneficial way to fall asleep faster. However, Acupuncture has been linked to improving sleep and has also been shown to treat insomnia. Many patients suffering from insomnia have shown results and are able to fall asleep with ease after acupuncture treatment.
Acupuncture is a medical treatment that uses tiny needles which are inserted into specific pressure points of the body and will stimulate the nerves and muscles. The needles may be heated, twisted, or moved in order to modify the effects of certain pressure points. Originating from traditional Chinese medicine, Acupuncture near Huntington NY may be used in place of other medical treatments. This form of physical therapy has the ability to resolve or manage a large range of medical conditions.
The Benefits of Acupuncture For Sleep Aid
One way that Acupuncture near Huntington NY may benefit patients that are having trouble sleeping is the production of melatonin. Melatonin is a hormone that is normally produced by the body when it begins to transition to sleep. A study has shown that acupuncture has improved melatonin production levels and improved sleep in individuals with insomnia.
Many people that are struggling with insomnia or just cannot fall asleep tend to use sleep medications as a solution for their condition. These medications may help your condition temporarily, but will not give you the long term results you are aiming for.
If you are having trouble sleeping or regularly struggle with any form of a sleep disorder, acupuncture may be the best option for you. Better sleep is often linked to a common side effect of acupuncture and you owe it to yourself to feel well rested.
Contact Us For Acupuncture near Huntington NY
For more information about Park Avenue Physical Therapy or to request a free consultation for Acupuncture near Huntington NY, visit our website.